This course is for people who want to work in the food service industry. You will learn about safe food handling practices, proper food preparation, storage, and serving techniques to prevent foodborne illnesses and ensure food safety. This class sets the foundation for your growing culinary career.
No experience necessary to take this class. On the last day of the course, you will have an opportunity to review the course content and be tested in the understanding of the material. When you pass the exam, you will receive a signed food handler certification, which is often a requirement for employment in the food service industry. The certification demonstrates that you have acquired the necessary knowledge to handle food safely and maintain hygiene standards. Your certification is valid in Massachusetts.
The course is offered in English and Spanish. The book is included in your tuition and you will receive it on the first day of the course.
*Includes the ServSafe Handbook, proctored exam, and the Food Hander certificate, contingent upon passing.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is the course structured?
We read, discuss, examine, use video to illustrate in a funny yet serious manner many of the disasters that can be avoided by taking this class on Proper Food Handling, examining a variety of real-world, real time events as examples.
What will I learn in the course?
- Foodborne illnesses: Common types, causes, and prevention.
- Personal hygiene: Proper handwashing, wearing appropriate attire, and maintaining cleanliness.
- Cross-contamination: Preventing the transfer of harmful bacteria between different foods.
- Time and temperature control: Understanding the safe temperature range for storing and cooking different types of food.
- Cleaning and sanitation: Techniques for cleaning and sanitizing food preparation areas, utensils, and equipment.
- Allergen awareness: Identifying common food allergens and preventing cross-contact.
- Food storage and handling: Proper methods for storing, rotating, and handling food items.
- Legal requirements and regulations: Familiarizing participants with local health codes and regulations related to food handling.
When do I receive my Food Handler certification?
Once you pass the exam, you will receive your signed certification on the spot.
What is included in the course tuition?
Your tuition includes the ServSafe Handbook, proctored exam, and the Food Hander certificate, contingent upon passing. The handbook is given to you on the first day of the course.
What happens if I fail the test?
You are offered another chance to pass the test if you fail at the first attempt. You have two options: You may return to the next iteration and re-take the class, upon instructor approval. Or, you may study on your own and take the test at a later time. You must reach out to your instructor to arrange a retest time. You are allowed three attempts in a six-month period to successfully pass the test with a 70% score.